Call for Submission of Policy-Relevant Research
Communication Policy Research South (CPRsouth) Conference 2018
September 3-5, 2018 (Monday-Wednesday)
Polana Serena Hotel, Maputo, Mozambique
CPRsouth is a funded conference that seeks to enhance the abilities of scholars and reflective practitioners based in the Global South to produce and effectively communicate policy-relevant research in the broadly defined ICT space. It is an opportunity to join a community of like-minded researchers who want to see their knowledge make a real difference in the world.
If you are selected to participate AND you are a citizen/permanent resident of a low or middle-income country in Africa or Asia, we will cover your economy airfare to Maputo, accommodation and most meals.
The 2018 CPRsouth conference consists of eight curated sessions where ICT policy-relevant research from the Global South will be showcased. The 2018 conference format is a departure from the previous conferences in that the focus now will be on repurposing published or nearly completed research into substantive policy briefs.
Your research paper or report along with a cover page is due by April 30, 2018.
The conference will accommodate approximately 30 presenters from Africa and the Asia-Pacific during a two-and-a-half-day period. The topics and the curators for the eight sessions are as follows:
- What is the impact of national broadband plans, policies or strategies on ICT access? Tim Mwolo Waema
- What comes after access: hate harassment and manipulation? Pirongrong Ramasoota
- Digital literacy as the next big challenge. Wallace Chigona
- Gender at the intersection of other divides. Alison Gillwald
- Platforms, livelihoods, and consumer benefits. Helani Galpaya & Payal Malik
- Are ICTs contributing to financial inclusion? Supriya Singh
- Egovernment and “smart” cities. Erwin Alampay
- Cyber policy: Scanning the horizon from the Global South. Rohan Samarajiva & Sriganesh Lokanathan
|Apr 18-30, 2018||Submit full papers/project reports etc. with cover page, for consideration to be developed as extended policy briefs|
|May 07, 2018||Receive notice of acceptance with instructions for preparing an extended policy brief|
|Jun 11, 2018||Submit the Extended Policy Brief|
|Jun 18-20, 2018||Receive funding commitments and letters for visas|
Read the Conference Program and select a session that best fits the research you have done or are close to completing. The research can be a previous conference paper, a publication, a thesis, an evaluation report or any document that is based on evidence. You must be the principal author. If not, you must attach a note describing the significant contribution you made along with the email and phone contacts of co-authors that may be used to verify your contribution.
Send the research paper or the report that you think fits the session, along with a Cover Note of one page, to info[at]cprsouth[dot]org. The cover note must include:
- Title of the proposed policy brief
- Relevant Conference session
- Author Name, Designation, Department, Institution, Address, Email and Phone
- Policy problem/s addressed
- Proposed solution/s
- Summary of supporting evidence, and
- Attachment (Can be a link to a document or a physical attachment to your email)
Click here to download a sample submission.
Send the research paper or the report AND the cover note before April 30th.
The decision on whether to shortlist you for participation in the conference and financial support to attend if qualified will be made by the curator and the conference secretariat within a week.
Once you receive this notification, you must work up an Extended Policy Brief of less than four pages, following the template provided and submit the same to the Conference secretariat. The document should be in MS office Word and named according to the following format: CPRsouth2018_PolicyBrief_YourLastName.doc.
Decisions will be notified by the secretariat along with funding and visa arrangements within two weeks. Instructions for those who do not have Mozambique embassies in their countries will also be provided.
You will be introduced to two senior scholars who will serve as mentors. They will give feedback by mid-July on how to improve the quality of the policy brief and its policy relevance. They will place particular emphasis on the research underlying your policy recommendations. You are encouraged to revise your policy briefs and presentation slides accordingly. The presentation requirements will be communicated once the selections have been made. The presentation is expected to provide details on the underlying research.
Funding and Logistics
Letters of invitation will be provided for purposes of visa applications after participant selections have been made. Participants are responsible for securing their own visas to enter Mozambique and are strongly advised to initiate visa approval procedures immediately on receipt of confirmation of their participation.
CPRsouth will provide:
- Lowest-cost economy airfare to conference destination, If you are a citizen/permanent resident of a low or middle-income country in Africa or Asia
- Accommodation on bed and breakfast basis, 3 lunches and 1 dinner for the duration of the conference and tutorials (September 3-5, 2018).
- Meals not mentioned above are not covered.
Participants are required to cover:
- Transport to and from airports
- Visa fees (if any)
- Travel insurance (if any)
- Meals not provided; and
- Any other incidental costs
for more information: info[at]cprsouth[dot]org.